Our church was founded in 1912 by several resident families. Initially it was a store front meeting place for Sunday morning worship and Sunday School. When the church was two years old, the congregation voted not to join an association, but rather to remain an unaffiliated Baptist church, which it is to this day. In 1927 a basement sanctuary was built.
In 1943 Billy Graham, a recent graduate of Wheaton College, became pastor of the 100 member church. During his 21 months of ministry, "Songs In The Night," a well-known Sunday evening radio vesper service, began broadcasting from the church.
Lloyd Fesmire pastored the church from 1945 to 1965. He continued the radio ministry of "Songs In The Night." During this time, the church's commitment to missions grew. In 1947 an above-ground sanctuary was built. Space for Sunday School, library, offices, and nursery was added in 1954.
Art Brown pastored the church from 1967 until he retired in 1989. His pastorate brought an increased missions emphasis, particularly through outreach to inner city Chicago. Pastor Brown's ministry also strengthened a love and tolerance for other Christians resulting in the current diversity of denominational backgrounds within our congregation. In 1975 a community room/recreational facility was constructed.
Dick Norwood pastored the church from 1989 to 1993. Under his pastorate, an informal contemporary Sunday evening service evolved and a small-group intensive Bible study program began.
John Beukema pastored the church from 1996 to 2005. In 2001 the congregation moved from its current site to accommodate a major facility upgrade. The church returned to the new facility in January 2003 and experienced significant growth. Under Pastor Beukema's leadership, our governing structure was redesigned and our church constitution rewritten. This new structure was approved by the congregation in February, 2006.
Our present Pastor, Dean Monkemeier, has served the church since June 2007.